Between Truth & Illusion – Memories from “The Longest Journey”

(Cortez at the gallery)
(科特在画廊里)

Cortez:About time you showed up.
科特:你来的正是时候。

Ryan:About time? I spent more than…
莱恩:正是时候?你知道我是费了多大劲才…

Mira — this painting, right here. Look.
看——这幅画,这边这幅。你看看。

Why?
You brought me all the way down to here to look at a painting?
为什么?
你把我大老远的叫过来就为让我看一副画?

Are you ready to look at the painting?
Just…lool at it.
现在可以开始看这幅画了吗?
你先看看。

No,I have more important things to do.
不看,我还有好多重要的事情要做。

No?Then we have nothing to talk about.Goodbye~
不看?那我们没什么好说的了,再见~

Goodbye?
再见?

Yes,goodbye to you too.Come back when you’re ready.
Then why waste time of mine and yours?Goodbye.
嗯,再见。等你准备好了再来。
不然为什么要浪费你我的时间呢?再见。

No…It’s nice work.
别,这幅画挺不错的。

It’s very nice. But there’s more to it than “nice” Keep looking.
是很不错。但不止是“不错”,继续看。

Who’s the artist?
作者是谁?

A boy named Warren Hughes. Not so long ago, I knew him and his family quite well. But he doesn’t paint anymore…
一个叫沃伦·修斯的小男孩。不是很久远的作品,我和他及他的家人很熟。但他现在已经不画画了。

What am I looking for?
要我看什么呢?

What do you see?
你看到了什么?

I see a guy hugging a girl.
我看到一个小伙子拥抱一个女孩。

And?
然后呢?

They’re probably boyfriend,girfriend,and she’s dumping him.He looks really depressed.
他们大概是一对情侣,女孩依偎着男孩。男孩看上去很忧伤。

Yes,yes,forget the story–what do you see?
对对,别管故事情节——你看到了什么?

I see a statement on loss. The guy, he’s hugging a girl, and by all rights, he should be happy. But he’s not. He’s probably already mourning the loss of her, even though that’s still somewhere in his future.
我看到一种对失落感的陈述。那个男孩虽然拥抱着女孩,此刻他应该是快乐的。但他并没有感到快乐。而是为今后将失去她而感到遗憾。

Statements! Who cares about statement? Tell me what you see!
陈述!不要管什么陈述。就问你看到了什么!

I see art!
我看到了艺术!

Art, yes. And beyond that? Beyond art?
艺术,对的。在那之后呢?艺术的背后?

Illusion?
幻觉?

Skill and imagination allow the artist to create an illusion, but that is only skin deep. Beneath the illusion, what else is there?
技术和想象力能让艺术家创造出幻觉,但那只是表层的。除了幻觉之外还有些什么?

Truth?
真相?

Truth, exactly! A deeper truth. This painting, this particular work of art, speaks of a deeper truth. It has a soul.
真相,没错!更深层的真相。这幅画,这幅艺术品,正在诉说着更深层的真相。它是有灵魂的。

How can a painting have a soul?
一幅画怎么会有灵魂?

It has a soul because it has an identity, it has a heart. The memory of this painting will survive beyond this moment, it will linger in your mind, become part of the tapestry of your subconscious. It has made a lasting impression on you, and you’re not quite sure why.
它有灵魂,因为它有自己的身份,它有自己的心。这幅画的记忆能存留到现在,并且在你的意识中逗留,成为你潜意识里的壁画中的一部分。它能为你带来难以磨灭的印象,但你也不知为何如此。

It’s just a painting by some kid. It’s not as if it’s a Picasso or a Monet.
这只是一个小孩画的画。又不是毕加索或莫奈。

Now you’re arguing technique. Not every painting by Van Gogh or Michellangelo is real art either, although they all demonstrate great technique and craftsmanship. And the scribbled drawings of a five-year old child are rarely technically impressive, but they may still have a soul, they may still be real art.
你又开始纠结技术了。即便是梵高、米开朗基罗的作品也并不是每件都能算真正的艺术,虽然他们展示了精湛的技艺和创造力。而一个五岁小孩潦草的绘画几乎没有技术可言,但它仍然可以有灵魂,因此那些作品可以称作真正的艺术。

So you’re saying “real art” is not defined by the skill of the artist? Then what is art, if just anybody can create something more “real” than artists who’ve spent their entire lives developing their skills?
所以你的意思是“真正的艺术”并不是体现在艺术家的技术上?那么什么是艺术,如果任何人都可以轻易地创造出比艺术家更加“真实”的艺术,那谁还会花一辈子时间去磨练自己的技艺呢?

Art is still the work of artists. And skill, craftsmanship, technique — those things are critical to the success of the an artist’s work. But alone, those things are merely pretense. For something to be real, to be truthful, the artist must transfer — shift — part of him or her into the work to transcend the illusion and reach for the truth of art.
艺术这事还是艺术家的工作。而技巧,创造力,技术——这些因素是艺术家成功的关键。但是,仅此而已,那些是不真实的。对于一些真实的艺术,需要艺术家将自我传送、转移到自己的作品里,这样才能到达艺术的真相。

And what is the “truth of art”?
么什么是“艺术的真相”?

Who knows? I’ve been asking myself that question for years.
我哪知道?我被这个问题困扰了多年了。

Excuse me? You don’t even know? Then what’s all this about, all the questions and lectures on “truth” and “illusion”? For that matter, why did you ask me to come down here in the first place?
拜托!你也不知道?那我们在谈什么,探讨“真相”和“幻觉”的问题?你把我大老远叫过来就为这个?

Because —
因为——

Actually, you didn’t even ask me to come down! I spent my entire afternoon travelling all over Venice, deciphering a cryptic message, spending money I don’t have on a subway ticket, only to have to stand here and listen to…to…
对,其实你根本没叫我来!我花了整个下午的时间跑遍威尼斯,破译神秘的暗码,浪费我从地铁车票里省下的钱,就只是站在这儿听你…听你…

You saw something this afternoon. A waking dream. And you can’t explain it. That’s why you’re here, isn’t it?
今天下午你看到了一些东西。一个正在醒来的梦境。你无法解释它。所以你才来这里找我,不是么?

How the hell do you know these things?
你是怎么知道的?

It’s as plain as the day, senorita Ryan. You’re under a lot of stress. My point about art and truth is this, April. Some things look real, but are not. And other things may appear to be of no consequences at all, but are, in fact, invaluable. Like Warren’s painting here. And your dreams. There is both truth and illusion in dreams, and in the images they create. The problem is in sorting the one from the other.
我看得一清二楚,莱恩小姐。你现在正承受着很大压力。对于艺术和真相,我的观点是:有些东西看上去真实,但其实并非如此。而其他有些看上去荒谬的东西,实际上是非常宝贵的。就像沃伦的这幅画一样。还有你的梦,梦境中有真相与幻象,就像这幅画一样。问题是要从幻象中找出真相。

You’re telling me my dreams are true?
你是说我的梦是真实的?

I’m telling you there are things afoot, and that you need help in sorting the truth from illusions. My help.
我想告诉你的是,有些事情正在悄然发生,而你需要有人帮你从幻象中发掘真相。那个人就是我。

Well, that figures.
好吧,知道了。

Good. I was hoping you’d understand.
那就好,我希望你能明白。

No, actually I didn’t understand a single word. You talk about art, and truth, and dreams, and illusion, and I still don’t understand what it all has to do with me. There are things happening, yes, and I came here because I thought — maybe you’re crazy enough to believe me to help me…I don’t know…sort through the debris and come up with a plausible explanation. But no, you tell me my dreams might be true, that I need your help and that there are things “afoot”. I mean, who says “afoot”? I’ve never heard anybody use that word before.”There are things afoot”.
不,我不明白,一个字也没明白。你跟我说的艺术、真相、梦境和幻象,我不知道这些跟我到底有什么关系。一些事情正在发生,的确,我来到这里因为我以为——或许你足够疯,以至于可以理解我、帮助我…我不知道…整理碎片找出似是而非的解释。但是你跟我说我的梦是真的,需要你的帮助,还说什么“有些事情正在悄然发生”。我的意思是,“悄然发生”?从没听别人用过这个词“有些事情正在悄然发生”。

Esta bien… I understand your reluctance to believe me, senorita. But I cannot convince you here, now. Meet me tomorrow.
没关系…我明白你不愿相信我,小姐。但就此时此地我也无法说服你。我们明天见吧。

What?
什么?

Meet me tomorrow, and I will tell you…everything.
明天见面,我会告诉你…一切。

Not again, no way.
我不会再上当了,没门。

But your will. Because you are compelled to do so by your own curosity. Because you are drawn to mystery. And because, despite your scepticism, you believe I have the answer to all your questions. Yes?
但你还是会来的。因为你的好奇迫使你必须这样做。因为你被神秘所吸引。尽管你怀疑,但你还是相信我有你想要的一切答案。不是么?

No. No, I don’t care. I just want to have a normal life, no nightmares, no visions, and no strangers telling me that “things are afoot”. Comprende, amigo?
不。不,我才不在乎。我只想要平凡的生活,没有噩梦,没有幻象,没有陌生人告诉我“有些事情正在悄然发生”。明白吗,哥们?

Ay Dios mio, is that the time? I’ve got to run, senorita Ryan. I see you tomorrow then?
我去,都这么晚了?我得走了,莱恩小姐。那我们明天见?

I said…
我说了…

Goodbye.
再见。

(With that, he walked away, leaving her feeling worst off than ever.)
(说完,他转身离去,将她一个人留在无比糟糕的感觉中)

–摘译自《The Longest Journey》第一章第八幕

发表评论

电子邮件地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注